Wednesday, May 16, 2007

The Secret

The job has gotten in the way of my sewing lately. But here's a fascinating Oprah book review for ya....
I'm a sales rep for an internet advertising company. I've been a "hunter" sales rep for the last 4 years and I've read the gamut of sales books and self-helps. Last Friday afternoon, I'm sitting in our cramped depressing office cold-calling the yellow pages when a faxed contract comes in for $18,000 mo for another crazy rep in our office. That amount isn't unheard of in this business but it's WAY out of the ordinary. Our quota is $5,000 monthly total. She calls me "Hey, did I get a fax?" Uhh, yep. How in the hell did you do this girl??? "How much is it?" Oh...just $18Gs! "Aw man, it was supposed to be $25000." Me: HOW did you do it???!!! She's says, "You're going to think this is weird girl. It's that book...."The Secret" Me: Come on....how'd you do it really? Her: "Just read it girl. It's freaky and all about the universe and thoughts...it's really weird but it works." Let's just say, I read it that weekend and last week I exceeded quota in 5 days. I didn't sell one $18,000 deal but I made quota in one week and I'm usually busting it the last days of the month. It worked again today....maybe it's just my more positive thinking or could it be.....the seeeecret......shhhh!

Then for Mother's Day...I got the dvd. I made the family watch it since we have one tv so too bad it's my day and I'm watching it. 10 minutes into it my daughter says, "Mommy, it's not working. I'm thinking I want it to be over and it's not ending!" The next evening we're doing our mom walks around the block while she skates on her Razor...."Oh Mommy, The Secret WORKS! It really does! At school I was thinking "I want to pass my spelling and math tests and thinking in my mind that I passed them and I did! And then, and then....I wanted to do "color poetry" and my teacher has never let us do it and I thought about it and we did it! Then we had tamales for lunch and I wanted tamales!"

But I'm NOT going to sell the SECRET start a website nor do i want any "free articles by the Secret teachers" And my child will still get math tutoring this summer!

5 comments:

Sarah said...

I've heard so much about this - now I just have to get the book!

Candy Schultz said...

So do you think we could all apply that to getting a new president?

SeamRippstress said...

Sarah. Get the book! Actually the dvd is awesome because then the family is force-fed the positivity.

Candy-I KNOW that we can apply the secret, not by focusing on the one we don't want but by focusing on the president we want....OBAMA.

Candy Schultz said...

I love Obama but I am nowhere near sure that he is the right one. I think he has too little experience right now. I would dearly love to see a woman or a black person as President. I had great hopes for Colin Powell until he threw his career away with the cowboys. If Obama wins the nomination I will certainly vote for him. I happen to be a Hillary fan as well despite all the crap that is thrown out about her. I am not sure she has a prayer in hell as the Repubs have made her such a polarizing figure. Now if only Nancy Pelosi or Barbara Boxer would run.

Candy Schultz said...

Actually the most positive thing we all should be working toward is getting the people out of there who are bent on taking the country down the road to a dictatorship, which we essentially have. That could actually pave the way for Nancy Pelosi to be president.