Tuesday, March 27, 2007

An ArtCard made my me

My first postcard!I mailed it yesterday but it took me 20 minutes to gather the nerve to release it into the blackhole of the mailbox. I didn't have the Kahoonas to send it "naked" like you artists gone wild I hear about. It's on its way to an extremely talented someone who shall remain anonymous until received since I don't think I'm supposed to post it until he or she receives it. Shhh! **Update: She got it! My first postcard went to SuZ W!!

I embellished wool and dyed silk onto painted lutradur during my experiments with the new embellisher foot. Then I laid it over a turquoise cotton and freemotioned everything down. You can't tell from the pic but I used pretty metallic threads on the petals. My satin stitching is getting better but I see where I need to invest in thousands of dollars worth of thread. I'm going to print a photo of all my threads to take along to my next thread shopping excursion.

I plan to make my next series of postcards using the techniques I'm learning from Fembellish Journal Gilded Garden Tutorial. If you haven't seen N.Rene West's blog, she offers a wealth of techniques explained step-by-step and her talent will blow you away. I've learned more about my Bernina 440 and it's accessories from her site than from my dealer or the manual. Each entry is daily eye-candy fabric therapy!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

A beautiful card! The recipient of it is going to love it. Nicely done!

Terri Stegmiller said...

Yay! Fabulous card! You have such a great writing skill, I especially love the way you described sending your first card off.

Micki said...

It is a lovely card.

Anonymous said...

I want! I want! I would display your lovely postcard prominently in my humble abode. :-)

Helen in the UK said...

Congrats on having the courage to let that card go into the mail system. My first one I sent to myself so I could see how it survived the journey!! Great card :)

Judy said...

Yummalicious card dear one!! I'll email you my snail mail address in just a second!! What a beautiful piece!!
xo

(p.s. I just read Helen's post (above mine) and agree that she had a great way to check the postal system for our lovely artworks!).

xo

Dianne said...

It's gorgeous. Love the shape of that flower....

Digitalgran said...

I think you have described exactly how I felt when sending my first card. I'm still a bit apprehensive. I couldn't help smiling at Helen who sent herself one! You need have no worries, that's a lovely card.

Candy Schultz said...

I haven't managed to mail one yet. I just give them to people. I am not brave and nor do I trust the postal service.

Veleta (Sammy) said...

This is a beautiful postcard you made! Great work! Oh if you have any questions about the puzzle pins, I would be happy to help you... they are so fun to make! I would love to see how yours turn out.